Tuesday, May 24, 2011

My Shoes are Still Going Strong!



Una Semana Vacanisima, y la que viene sera mejor.

I had an excellent missionary week. Lots of great experiences and strengthened testimony. First off, the transfer has ended. And the verdict is.....Elder LeCheminant and Elder Moraga se quedan. That`s right folks, I`m staying with Moraga one more.

OK, I have to take a couple paragraphs to talk about Juan. I wrote a little about him last week. The white Dominican with the Haitian wife. Monday, we were thinking of dropping him. He always found the Missionary lessons interesting, but in the words of Moraga, I think this guy thinks the Book of Mormon is a fiction story book, fun to theorize about. Anyways, we decided to go back one more time and see if he read and get his thoughts. Turns out that he had read and read and read. He read a bunch and understood everything. He decided to change up his prayers and he felt the spirit. He figured that the Bible had lost a lot of truths and that the Book of Mormon restored the truth. We ended up going every night to his house. He went to Church and told us he`s gonna keep on doing these things. The lessons with Juan are the lessons I imagined I would have before I left on the mission. Anyways, the moral of the story is I got a stronger testimony of the Book of Mormon. Those that read it will quickly recognize it as the word of God!

We have another great young man that will be baptized. A Haitian kid that moved here with his parents when he was a child. He`s friends with all the youth of the branch. He`s gone to Church for 4 months now but refused to be baptized until he got a testimony, and he says he`s ready now. He`s a great kid named William. June 4th is his scheduled baptism date.

Just a few side notes. The pants I bought are the best pants I`ve ever owned in my life. I`m a new missionary when I wear them. It`s like Jerry Seinfeld and his suede jacket. And my shoes are still going strong [note: Phillip is referring to a pair of used dress shoes he bought about a year before his mission at D.I.!]. Elder Moraga is calling his family this week for Nicaraguan Mother’s Day.

Another cool D.R. Story. We were looking for a member, but the family told us he was at the Gallerina. Apparently it was right down the street, so we went. We want into this strange building, and ended up in perhaps the most legitimate cock fighting rink I`ve seen in real life or film. There were no cocks fighting at the time and nobody was there. I wish I could explain how cool and random this thing was. In the end, we found the member and had a good day preaching the Gospel.

Have a great week!

Elder Phil

No comments:

Post a Comment