Monday, May 2, 2011

“We`re still looking for your polochirt de gringo!”

Familia,

Es Mayo! Yes, it`s May!

OK, about this week, and the same old story of La Republica Dominicana. First off, let me tell you about two great women we are teaching. We convinced the spouse of the first woman to marry her. But this past week, he realized that he was still married to another woman and needs to get a divorce to get married. And she didn`t know about the other marriage! Anyway, we need to wait a bit until we get it all settled.

And the spouse of the other woman backed out after he said he would marry her. So we have to keep working with them. She is a great woman and would be a very strong baptism and a great convert in the Church. Very intelligent and believes in the gospel. Anyway, we all need to pray that the heart of her husband will be softened so that she can be baptized.

I had an intercambio this past week with Elder Kleiner. He`s from Mesa, and entered the mish 6 weeks before I came in. He`s a great guy and a good missionary. We had a lot of fun. We got pizza. 8 months without pizza, then two nights in a row!

Today was a super fun P-Day. We went to a Cascada (Waterfall). We all had a good time. It was a good hike and I saw plenty of Azua that I hadn`t seen before.

Funny Dominican Republic story. There is a T-shirt stand right next to our house. There was a sweet Nike shirt that I was gonna buy for 100 pesos. Anyway, I didn`t have my money when I first saw it, so I told them I was coming back soon. I came back the next day, and we looked and looked for my shirt, but couldn`t find it. Anyway, every time we walk by, all the workers yell out, “We`re still looking for your polochirt de gringo!” Here polo-shirt equals T-shirt in English. Said really fast in Spanish it comes out “polochirt.” I`m not really sure where I`m going with this story, other than I`ve heard the word “polochirt” many more times than I wanted to hear this past week.

I had a good week, we had some great lessons, and I put a baptismal date with a great guy in his 30s. Now we`ll wait for the true test and see if he comes to Church. But I have faith he will!

I love you all, and hope that you have a great week and will talk to you on MOTHER’S DAY baby!

Elder Phil

1 comment:

  1. I love your blog, and also you for sharing some of your great missionary experiences. God Bless!

    ReplyDelete